Increase Your Home’s Value
So you are thinking about selling your home. Obviously you want to get the most money for your home, right? You may also have some other criteria as well. Such as, how soon you need to sell? Is this sale tied to a 1031 Tax Deferred Exchange? What condition is your home? How motivated are you?
Some things that will affect the value of your home, you have no control over, such as: location, market conditions, job availability and interest rates. But other items that you do have direct control over are the condition of your home and the price you list if at! Research has shown that homes in good condition, WILL SELL FOR MORE AND WILL SELL FASTER, than a home needing repairs and work. That is a fact. Preparing your home to sell is critical in this market. We are in a pricing war and a beauty contest!
The home you may have called home for years is going to be sold, so you need to remove all attachment to it and think about what needs to be done. So take a deep breath, and try to be objective, what does your home need done to increase its value?
What changes need to be made to make it the most appealing to a potential buyer?
- This breaks down to making sure everything works more or less. For example, buy lots of new light bulbs, if a buyer tries a light and it does not work, they may think that the electrical system is shot!
- The house should be depersonalized and de-cluttered.
- Clean and remove all clutter, boxes, storage, old cars, etc.
- Pressure wash and repaint. For the exterior, this has proven to be the single best home improvement job that should be done for most homes. Keep the colors neutral, now is not the time for wild colors!
- Do basic landscaping, mowing and weed-whacking as needed.
Home Staging is the process of evaluating your home and suggesting improvements that will make your home more desirable to prospective buyers. It can include simple things like cleaning, de-cluttering and moving around furniture to be more appealing. It can be more involved such as repainting and redecorating. Heather at Big Island Brokers has extensive knowledge of the process and she will be happy to give you free advice on what can be done on any budget.
Contact Big Island Brokers for a FREE home evaluation and recommendations on what can be done for your home so that it can sell for the most amount of money in the shortest amount of time. Also inquire about a free pamphlet on other cost saving tips to improve your home to sell.